Centreville UMC has always sought to provide God’s love for the unspoken and ignored. It is a vital part of sharing God’s love in the world to speak for those who are not heard. Serve the community by promoting peace, protecting life and ensuring justice for all of God’s creation.
The Centreville Immigration Forum (CIF) is a community volunteer group that focuses on immigration and diversity issues. Participants in the Forum support a variety of services for immigrants, including English instruction and health and safety concerns for residents in the Centreville area. The Forum opened the Centreville Labor Resource Center (CLRC) on December 5, 2011 to provide a safe, organized Center where residents and contractors can negotiate work arrangements with day laborers. Members are also provided ongoing educational and vocational training workshops. Missional opportunities to participate with the operations of the center can be found on the center website.
Related Website: http://www.centrevilleimmigrationforum.org
GRACE Ministries is a community outreach program that serves low-income immigrant families in the local community. On the second Saturday of each month, low-income families receive food, clothing, diapers, household linens, toys and children’s books. The ministry also provides job training for Personal Care Aids and Commercial Drivers Licenses to eligible low-income immigrants.
There are many ways to serve in the ministry:
Set Up Fridays:
Opportunities to serve on the Friday preceding a Grace Ministries Saturday include volunteers that prepare the Fellowship Hall and rooms for the ministry by:
- Setting up tables and chairs
- Preparing the hospitality area for serving on Saturday
- Sorting and hanging clothing donations
- Setting up the Children’s Corner with books and crafts
- Arranging toy donations and linen donations
- Bagging food
- Collecting and disposing of trash and cardboard
Saturday at GRACE Ministries:
- Pre-registration and greeting (Spanish speakers are very helpful)
- Registration (Spanish speakers needed)
- Hospitality – setting out refreshments
- Children’s Corner – doing crafts with children/reading to children
- Worship (assisting with the short worship time – music)
- Working in the clothing, toy, linen, diaper and food rooms
- Helping guests take their goods to their vehicles
- Clean Up
MORE OPPORTUNITIES TO SERVE:
Support GRACE Ministries through your financial gifts and donations. Donations are accepted Sunday – Friday the week of Grace Ministries. Donations of the following items are appreciated:
- Good condition, seasonal clothing bagged by clothing type
- Bed and bath linens, dish ware and cookware (We are unable to accept other household items.)
- Small toys and stuffed animals (We are unable to accept large toys and video games.)
- Books for young children
- Diapers, especially sizes 4, 5 & 6.
PLEASE TAKE ALL OTHER HOUSEHOLD ITEMS TO SALVATION ARMY, CLOCK TOWER, OR SOME OTHER THRIFT STORE. THANK YOU!
To sign up to help contact: email@example.com
Or call the church office at: 703.830.2684
English as a Second Language teaches adult students how to read, write and communicate in the English language. All nationalities are welcome. Childcare is provided with prior registration for the evening sessions. Space is limited.
Morning Classes – Thursday, January 9, 2020 – 9:30 – 11:30 AM
Evening Classes – Thursday, January 9, 2020 – 7:00 – 9:00 PM
Morning Classes – Thursday, January 16, 2020 – 9:30 – 11:30 AM
Evening Classes – Thursday, January 16, 2020 – 7:00 – 9:00 PM**
**Childcare available for evening classes
Thursday, April 2, 2020
The ESL program at CUMC usually follows FCPS. Please check the home page of this website for cancellations due to inclement weather.
Registration Fee: $35 (payable at registration)
There are many opportunities to be involved in the ESL ministry:
- Registration – Help with registration approximately two weeks prior to the start of class. Opportunities to assist include signing in the students, helping students fill out registration forms, monitor testing, grading tests.
- Teach a class. Teachers commit to teaching one two hour class once a week, either on a Tuesday or Thursday for the 11 week session.
- Assist in a classroom once a week, either on Tuesday or Thursday, for the 12 week session.
- Hospitality – There is a break time each day when the student break for a light snack and time of fellowship. Those helping with hospitality prepare the snack table for the break and clean up following the break. The students provide the snacks.
- Assist the Coordinator – the morning and evening ESL coordinators maintain attendance records, answer questions of the students and do a variety of administrative jobs. The assistance helps the coordinator with such responsibilities.
On the third Tuesday of each month CUMC provides a hot dinner meal for over 100 homeless men, women and children living in local motels and on the street. The cooking team prepares and packages the meal between 3:00 – 5:00 PM. The delivery team takes the meal to motels and parking lots along Rt 29 in Fairfax where homeless families can come to receive a healthy and warm dinner.
Contact: Steve Jobe
The Lamb Center is in continuous need of personal care, laundry, paper and plastic food serving products and maintenance supplies. The following are our most needed items used daily. These items can often be purchased in bulk and dropped off at Centreville UMC (in the Donation Center) or at the Lamb Center facility.
- 55 Gallon trash bags
- 13 Gallon trash bags with draw-strings
- Lysol spray
- Laundry detergent & liquid bleach
- Costco paper towel rolls for wall dispenser
Personal Care Items
- Small deodorant
- Shaving cream
- Disposable razors
- Styrofoam bowls, dinner & dessert plates
- Coffee, creamer, sugar & cold drink mix, styrofoam coffee cups 8-9 oz
- Plastic utensils
- Thermal underwear
Address: 3220 Old Lee Hwy
Fairfax, VA 22030
Director of Mission Ministries
Recent Mission Ministry Posts
May 20, 2020 by Phil Mohr
We continue to seek to meet the needs of those who are most vulnerable in our community. We are regularly packing food to be distributed to those in need. You can help. Join one of our small food packing teams. There are several volunteer opportunities next week. You MUST signMissions| Upcoming Events Continue reading
May 8, 2020 by Phil Mohr
Here are some recent updates from the missionaries we support. There is no report this month from Ellyn Dubberly. Ellyn was in the United States when the shutdown happened, and has not yet been able to return to El Salvador to rejoin her husband and daughter. We hope to hearMissions| Recent Events Continue reading