Here at CUMC we welcome children in worship! We want them to feel welcome on Sundays to participate in all aspects of worship – the greetings, prayers, and praise. To experience baptisms, communion and mission team commissionings. To become familiar with the church seasons and the patterns of worship. But we do realize that sitting in the sanctuary for the full worship service can be difficult for our children who most often learn better through movement, hands on experiences, crafts, and games. So we invite our children 3 years through 6th grade to join our Children’s Ministry mascot, Zebby Dee, for their own Sunday morning bible exploration experience called Kids Quest shortly into the service.
Children begin the worship service with their parents in the sanctuary. They hear the greeting, prelude and opening hymns/songs of praise. They may hear a scripture read or a mission opportunity announced. Then, prior to the sermon, children are invited to follow our Children’s Ministry mascot, Zebby Dee, for our special Kids Quest time with our talented team of Children’s Ministry teachers and youth volunteers. Currently Kids Quest is held in the Chapel. Parents are asked to pick up their children from the Chapel immediately following the worship service.
In Kids Quest children lift up praise with music and movement! They hear, act out, or maybe even watch puppets tell a bible story. They ask questions and wonder what God is telling us through the story. They might do a craft or play a game. They visit with friends and learn what it means to be part of God’s family.
In Kids Quest they also have the opportunity to learn about some of the special sacraments and church seasons from our pastors and church leaders. This fall Pastor Marti will be sharing what Communion and All Saints Day are all about and why we do and say some of the things we do and say in worship during these times.
Kids Quest is taught by pre-screened teachers and youth volunteers. Kids Quest offers our children a safe place where they can ask questions, deepen their faith and develop a better understanding of our awesome God and His story.
Opportunities for Children to Serve
- Children are invited to participate in worship by serving as choir members, acolytes, offering helpers, greeters, and readers.
- More information about joining one of our Children’s Choirs can be found by clicking on the Children’s Choirs link to the right.
- Acolyte training sessions for children in third grade and older are offered periodically throughout the year.
- Children interested in serving as offering helpers, greeters or readers should speak to our Children’s Ministry Director, Joy Rangel.
Teaching and Volunteer Opportunities for Adults and Youth
All of our Children’s Ministry programs depend on parental involvement and the generosity of dedicated adult teachers and youth who volunteer their time to teach, listen and encourage the children in their classes and activities.
- Adult Kids Quest Teachers work in teams of two and alternate teaching with other teams.
- Youth in Middle School and High School serve as Kids Quest Assistant Leaders.
- All volunteers, adult and youth, must pass a background screening.
- Teachers and Youth Leaders receive training and adhere to safe sanctuary guidelines adopted by the Church Council.
- Youth in 6thgrade are welcome to volunteer as Shepherds for Kids Quest and to assist with special events.
To volunteer please contact Joy Rangel at email@example.com.