ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE
English as a Second Language teaches adult students how to read, write and communicate in the English language. All nationalities are welcome. Space is limited.
Contact Margaret Welker at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
All classes will be held in person at Centreville United Methodist Church. Registering here does not guarantee a spot in a class.
Cost is $50 for the semester for students who were NOT in class in Spring 2023. This includes the cost of the textbook and workbook.
Cost $25 for students who were in class in Spring 2023 and already have the textbook and workbook.
New students will need to attend a placement interview on August 22, 24, 29, or 31 to determine your class level. You will receive an email with your interview time.
Volunteering with ESL
There are many opportunities to be involved in the ESL ministry:
- - Registration – Help with registration approximately two weeks prior to the start of class.
- - Opportunities to assist include signing in the students, helping students fill out registration forms, monitor testing, grading tests.
- - Teach a class. Teachers commit to teaching one two hour class once a week, either on a Tuesday or Thursday for the 11 week session.
- - Assist in a classroom once a week, either on Tuesday or Thursday, for the 12 week session.
- - Hospitality – There is a break time each day when the student break for a light snack and time of fellowship. Those helping with hospitality prepare the snack table for the break and clean up following the break. The students provide the snacks.
- - Assist the Coordinator – the morning and evening ESL coordinators maintain attendance records, answer questions of the students and do a variety of administrative jobs. The assistance helps the coordinator with such responsibilities.
Contact Margaret Welker at email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering.